Friday, August 21, 2009

Making Pillowcases

I taught another sewing lesson to some neighborhood girls and we made pillowcases. Kai joined up today for the first time. I wanted them to get more comfortable sewing straight lines and thought this project was perfect.

We used a rotary cutter and mat to cut our entire pattern. No scissors this time.

Kai ironing the contrasting band on her pillowcase

It was cute to see the girls reactions as they saw their pillowcases coming together. Class is two hours long, so I bought some scrap fabric and thought we could make fabric bookmarks if we had any spare time. Unfortunately, class actually ran a little late. Not quite sure why. I think maybe it's because I encouraged them to read the instructions and try to figure out what it was saying before I jumped on in and did it for them.


Kai with her finished pillowcase

Annake with her finished pillowcase

Here is the pattern we used. I'd say for the seamstress who is not learning, it would take 20 minutes to complete.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What cute pillowcases! A great project for someone learning to sew too! Looks like they had fun.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I'm so proud of you!! Love, Mom