Friday, October 16, 2009

Christmas stockings

I went to my first stitch out class at one of the semi-local fabric stores. This particular stitch out class is for people who have embroidery design software as well as an embroidery/sewing machine. I'm in still in the middle of taking my embriodery design software classes, but I have already done all the tutorials on my own, so the instructors invited me to class anyway. We were making Christmas stockings today. First we used our laptops and software to design what we wanted to embroider on the stockings.

Then we sent our design to our embroidery machine to stitch it out. I have a USB stick that I save my designs on and then just stick that into my embroidery machine.

Our next step was to sew the stocking together. I didn't get a picture of this part. I put piping on the cuff of the stocking, which I'd never done before. We also added a tassel and ribbon to hang it with.

These pictures were taken in very bad light, so it looks a lot better in person. I still have to get rid of some the aqua film stabilizer that you can see from where I embroidered.

I wasn't thrilled when I found out that this was the project we were doing, but I after working on it all day, I must say that I am thrilled with it. If I did it again, I would make a few minor changes with the embroidery colors, but overall, I like it a lot. So much so, that I bought supplies to make all the boys one. One will get one like mine, and two will get red ones. You know me...we've got to have coordinating Christmas stockings.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is way cute! Awesome job on it!

Stephanie said...

Do you want to sell some of those at the craft fair? Probably not.

Jewels said...

That is awesome. Looks store bought to me!